In March of 1937 the old South Ward School built in 1908 was torn down to make way for a new modern building. WPA officials ordered thirty-two workers to begin razing the old building which had been renamed Robert E. Lee School several years before. The new building was described as “a one-story structure of Spanish architectural design.” The contract was given to J. T. Chapman and Sons Construction Company of Sulphur who had the low bid of $43,210. G. T. Stubbs, Superintendent of Schools predicted the school would be “a model for future planning and a source of civic and educational pride in the community.”
For its 80th anniversary in 2017, Robert E. Lee Elementary School was renovated to become the Robert E. Lee Early Childhood Center.