Armstrong Academy

Image of Historical Marker labeled Chahta Tamaha. "Armstrong Academy, established by Choctaw Nation and named for Wm. Armstrong, Indian Agt., was opened in 1845. Rev. R.D. Potts, Supt., under Baptist Miss. Soc. Post Office established Nov. 1850. Confederate Capitol during Civil War. Choctaw Capitol, 1863-1883. Noted chiefs there included Peter P. Pitchlynn, Allen Wright, and Jackson McCurtain. Oklahoma Historical Society 180-1995.

The Choctaw Nation opened Armstrong Academy December 2, 1845 as a school for boys. Named for the Indian agent William Armstrong, the Academy was located three miles northeast of the present town of Bokchito. In addition to studying reading, writing, geography, and math, the boys spent two or three hours a day in manual farm work, raising livestock, corn, and other crops. The school closed with the outbreak of the Civil War.

The Choctaw National Council began meeting at the Academy in 1862. Renamed Chahta Tamaha (Choctaw City), it was used as the  capital of the Choctaw Nation until a new capital was built at Tuskahoma in 1883. In 1884 Armstrong Academy reopened as a school for Choctaw orphan boys. It continued to operate until it was destroyed by fire in January 1920.

At the time The Caddo Herald noted “In its day this Academy filled an important niche in the history of the Choctaws and many there are who will regret the passing of this landmark of learning.”


by

Tags: